By Roy Sanborn
Did you ever wonder why some homes sell quickly and others linger on the market a long time? Well, obviously a lot has to do with whether it is priced right or not, or perhaps it's the location. But, certain home features are very desirable and help sell a home while there are other things that might deter a sale. So here is a list of some things that are hot when it comes to desirable home features.
1. Tasteful, move-in-ready homes. Nobody wants to move into something that has a bunch of projects to do unless you have the guys from This Old House doing a TV show on you. Many buyers cannot begin to picture what can be done and just don't want the hassle.
2. Open concept homes. The days of little square rooms for different purposes are long over. There is not a home show on TV that doesn't revolve around knocking out a wall or two somewhere.
3. Cathedral or vaulted ceilings add volume to even the smallest rooms making them much more airy and light.
4. Lots of light and windows. Man has evolved from living in a dark cave – or at least most men have. Those that live in the light with high quality, large windows tend to be more mobile as their houses sell quicker.
5. Stunning, high-quality kitchens with beautiful cabinetry, lots of storage, high-end appliances, and high-quality countertops. The kitchen is truly the heart of the home and will grab the heart of a buyer more than any other space.
6. First-floor master suites –ya gotta have that master bathroom! Many buyers are getting too old and lame to go upstairs – and even if they aren't, Granny might be living with them someday.
7. Walk-in closets. You know, something the size of a small bedroom for her with a small rack in the corner for him. Throw in some fancy shelves to display her shoes and they will have multiple offers.
8. Hardwood and tile floors. People love hardwood floors. Period. They are easier to keep clean than carpet. Remember, you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd or on shag carpet.
9. Large garages. Despite having an easy winter, we do live in the frozen tundra. Mama don't want to shovel off her car when it is 10 degrees and you don't want to get yelled at!
10. Man caves. Yeah, I know, I said man has evolved from living in a cave, but man caves don't have to necessarily be dark. Neon beer signs help with that. A guy has to have a place where he can be a guy. This is the trade-off for the minimal closet space he has been relegated to.
11. Waterfront, waterfront, waterfront. Waterfront is always hot for those that can afford it. But what's even hotter is the elusive level lot with a sandy beach and privacy. Got that and you're a winner.
12. Water access is the next best thing and is always in demand. If a dock or mooring comes with the access you are likely golden.
13. Views. Unless it is of a junk yard. You know, water or mountain views will always help sell a home. People like to stare.
Combine the first seven features with any of the last three and you'll be moving faster than the DeLorean in "Back to the Future." So that's it. Next week we'll do "What's not hot..."
Please feel free to visit www.lakesregionhome.com to learn more about the Lakes Region real estate market and comment on this article and others. D Roy Sanborn is a sales associate at Four Seasons Sotheby's International Realty and can be reached at 603-677-7012.
Four Seasons Sotheby's International Realty
3 Main Street, Meredith, NH 03253
- Category: Columns
- Hits: 515