A+ A A-

Winter St. man ordered held on $500 bail after domestic disturbance

LACONIA – A local man was ordered held on $500 cash bail after police were called twice to his house Friday afternoon for domestic disturbance.

Justin Franquie, 23, of Winter St. is charged with one felony count of witness tampering, two misdemeanor counts of criminal mischief, one count of criminal threatening, and one count of simple assault.

Police affidavits said Franquie and one of his family members got into an argument at 4 p.m. about some found drugs that allegedly belonged to Franquie.

An argument ensued and Franquie allegedly punched the microwave and threatened to beat in the victim's head. The victim called police but Franquie left before they arrived and couldn't be located.

Affidavits said hour later police were called back to the home because Franquie returned and demanded his clothes and his dog.

The victim told Franquie repeatedly to leave, and at some point Franquie allegedly kicked in the back door, spit on the victim and allegedly threatened to kill him for calling the police.

In the 4th Circuit Court, Laconia Division yesterday, Prosecutor Jim Sawyer asked that Franquie be held on $3,000 cash-only bail.

He said despite his young age, Franquie had already served a 1- to 2-year sentence in State Prison. Sawyer also argued that Franquie returned to the home to assault his victim after threatening him and that this is the second time there has been a incident between the two.

Belknap County Public Defender Wade Harwood argued that Franquie was not a flight risk, had never failed to show up for a court date, had obeyed all of the conditions of his parole when he was on it, and had found another place to live.

Bail was set at $500 cash for the felony and $5,000 for the four misdemeanors.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 September 2014 01:18

Hits: 92

Belmont returns 1908 bandstand to like-new condition, appearance

BELMONT – Organizers of the historic bandstand dedication described the event Sunday afternoon as "memorable," saying it was well attended and a lot of fun for those who came.

Linda Frawley, the Chair of the Belmont Heritage Commission, said Belmont Village "looked like a scene from a Norman Rockwell painting."

Sunday's dedication gave Selectmen and members of the Heritage Commission the opportunity to thank all of the people throughout the state who helped in the restoration effort -- either through doing research, grant writing or providing labor -- for their efforts on the bandstand.

Frawley said retired N.H. Architectural Historian James Garvin gave the key remarks by giving the attendees a history of Belmont's bandstand, bandstands in general, and how they contributed to the town's communities.

The Belmont Village bandstand was built in 1908.

She said he noted that in 1908 one of the most popular songs in the country was "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" and in Belmont the town was able to reduce its debt by $177.05. A pool table license cost $10.

"It was almost a retrospective," Frawley said.

Frawley said yesterday the first recent effort to restore the bandstand came from Whitman Ide in the 1970s who led the effort to get the bandstand listed on the N.H. Historic Register.

She said Garvin had kept all of the notes from Ide's work and it was partially from them the Heritage Commission was able to restore the bandstand to its former glory.

Along with moving it, recent efforts have been to build a concrete slab upon which to settle the structure and have restored it to the condition and color scheme from 1908.

Town Historian Wallace Rhodes said "everyone in town is impressed by it."

He said people were a little taken aback initially by the late Victorian-era paint scheme, but have since told him how much they like the rust and green.

"People alive today had never seen it anything but white," he said.

Rhodes and Frawley said they wanted to thank everyone that made made Sunday possible, especially all of the young people, including choruses from Canterbury and Belmont Elementary Schools and the Boy Scouts who came to Belmont to celebrate the bandstand.

"It was hot," said Rhodes, "but it was a pretty good event."

Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 September 2014 01:00

Hits: 39

Governor responds to N.H. Wind Watch criticism

by Thomas P. Caldwell

CONCORD — Governor Maggie Hassan through her press secretary on Friday responded to criticism of her choices for one of the public positions on the N.H. Site Evaluation Committee.
The governor had nominated Senator Bob Odell, with Representative Amanda Merrill as alternate, for one of the two public seats; the other is to be filled by an attorney. N.H. Wind Watch, a citizens' group opposed to wind farms, criticized the choice because of Odell's advocacy of a wind project in Lempster and because they did not feel that a politician would properly represent the public interest.
Press Secretary William Hinkle in a statement said, "As Governor Hassan works to diversify our energy sources, improve reliability and reduce energy costs, she remains committed to strengthening efforts to ensure that the voices of local communities are heard throughout the siting process. The new makeup of the Site Evaluation Committee helps ensure that the siting process for new energy projects includes the views of local communities and protects what makes our state special.
"As well-respected, retiring legislators, Bob Odell and Amanda Merrill have invaluable experience representing the views of the public on the important issues that face the SEC, including their work as members of energy and environment committees. Governor Hassan believes that their experience, temperament, and commitment to fairness will be assets as we pursue an energy strategy that will reduce costs and pollution, create jobs and improve reliability and diversity while protecting the natural resources that define us as a state."
New Hampshire Wind Watch is mobilizing to kill the Odell nomination when it goes before the Executive Council on Oct. 1.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 31 December 1969 07:00

Hits: 195

Police looking for transient accused of lewdness in park

LACONIA — Police have issued a warrant for the arrest of a Concord transient named Donald King for the crime of indecent exposure and lewdness.

After a month-long investigation, police determined King is allegedly a the man who exposed himself to several juveniles at 4:15 p.m. on September 1, near the Opechee Point Beach.

King is know to drive a greenish 1998 Ford Explorer with the N.H. Plate number of 3459982. He was last known to be living in his car in the Concord area.

He is a registered sex offender, having been convicted of aggravated felonious sexual assault on a child who was under 13-years old.

Police said the incident is still under investigation and ask any one who knows of King's whereabouts or have any knowledge of the incident to call the Laconia Police at 524-5252 or the Greater Laconia Crime Line at 524-1717.

Last Updated on Saturday, 27 September 2014 12:16

Hits: 84

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN