LACONIA — Firefighters carried a dish of burning candle wax from a home at 36 Dartmouth Street yesterday afternoon, averting what Fire Chief Ken Erickson said could have turned into more serious situation.
Shortly after 4 p.m. one of the three children in the home at the time called 911 when a burning candle set the gases emitted by the liquified wax afire. Erickson said that it was fortunate they did not try to douse the flames or move the dish, which could easily have spread the fire. The table holding the candle was covered with wax, he said, but there was no damage and no one was injured. "They did the right thing by calling 911," Erickson remarked.
Last Updated on Wednesday, 01 July 2015 01:01
LACONIA — "There's a lot of common ground here," Gov. Maggie Hassan said yesterday. "There's a good deal to be had here. "The governor, a Democrat, last week vetoed the 2016-17 state budget adopted by the Legislature and this week said, "we're making the rounds because I hoped we'd have an agreed budget and we don't."
During an interview at the office of the Laconia Daily Sun, Hassan, who was accompanied by state Sen. Andrew Hosmer (D-Laconia), a member of the Senate Finance Committee, took aim at the budget adopted by Republican majorities in both the Senate and House of Representatives, which she called "unbalanced."
In particular, Hassan took issue with the Legislature's decision to reduce business taxes at the expense of more important priorities, which she believes will cripple future budgets by sapping revenues by $21 million in this biennium, $65 million in the next and $90 million in the one after that. "Ninety million dollars is a big number," she said, equal to the annual budget of the New Hampshire Community College System.
The governor recalled that the bipartisan budget adopted in her first term sought to expand employment and opportunity while stemming the loss of young people and protecting the state's low-tax environment by investing in infrastructure, higher education, mental health and substance abuse programs. Hassan noted that in 2014 the growth of the economy matched Massachusetts to set the pace in New England, and surpassed the national average. At the same time, New Hampshire enjoyed the lowest per capita tax burden in the country and was ranked the seventh most "business friendly" state by the Tax Foundation.
This year, Hassan said, the budget "passed in a partisan way." She said that the budget "double-counted" funding in 2015 by increasing the transfer to the revenue stabilization or "rainy day" fund by almost $12 million and the projected surplus by $15 million. Such "gimmicks," she said, "used in emergencies have become bad habits and within months will require cuts to balance the budget."
The governor said that she is not opposed to reducing business taxes, but added that she heard from business leaders that the development of a skilled workforce is their highest priority. She noted that the state has forgone revenue because of changes to the tax code introduced in 2010 and insisted "this is not the time to cut revenue. In the abstract we'd love it, " she continued, "but under the circumstances they're making the wrong choice."
Hassan said that she has suggested raising vehicle registration fees and the tobacco tax as well as closing loopholes in business taxes to pay for reduced business taxes, but has been rebuffed by Republican who refuse to increase any tax or fee.
Hassan said that she is also troubled by the failure of the Legislature to fund the contract negotiated with state employees and to ensure the perpetuation of the New Hampshire Health Protection Program (HPP).
The contract, she explained, was negotiated before she delivered her budget address in February, but the Legislature chose not only to withhold the necessary funding but also to defer implementation of the contract if the money was available.
Declining to reauthorize the HPP, the governor said, has created uncertainty about the health insurance of some 41,000 enrolled in the program, some of whom receive treatment for substance abuse and mental illness. At the same time, it has unsettled the health insurance market, which weighs on businesses contemplating the future cost of health insurance for their employees.
On the heels of Hassan's veto, the Legislature adopted a continuing resolution, which ensures that state government continues to operate with funding at the level of fiscal year 2015, which ends today. Although Hassan said she was "encouraged" by the continuing resolution, she said that "we must get back to the table." Funding programs and services at 2015 levels, she called "kicking the can down the road" and urged lawmakers to "return to the table sooner rather than later."
Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 12:51
LACONIA – At midnight, New Hampshire will become the 12th state to pass an outright ban on the use of all hand-held electronic devices by drivers in car on a public way.
The state's Hands Free Law was signed by Gov. Maggie Hassan on July 25, 2014, after passing the Legislature on May 7. The nearly one-year wait before the law taking effect was intended to give the state and local authorities an opportunity to wage a massive campaign to educate the state's drivers.
In signing the bill, Hassan said electronic devices used by drivers in automobiles represented "an increasing danger we must address."
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, as of May 5, 2015, 11 states, Washington D.C., Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands had all passed similar laws. Most other states have addressed a hands-free policy for school bus drivers and for drivers 18 or under. In New England, New Hampshire follows Connecticut and Vermont in passing a total ban on the use of electronic devices while driving.
In New Hampshire, the first violation costs the driver $100 plus a penalty assessment of 17 percent. The penalty for subsequent offenses within two years is $250 for a second offense and $500 for a third. Both include the penalty assessment.
"I am 100-percent supportive of this law," said Gilford Police Chief Anthony Bean Burpee, who said his department, as have the others in Belknap County, has issued several press releases, has posted messages on both Facebook and Twitter and has gotten involved in the N.H. Police Chief's campaign called Driving Toward Zero – One Death Too Many.
Gilford Police photocopied the poster they got from the N.H. Police Chief's campaign on bright orange paper and started distributing copies about six weeks ago. A few of those bright orange posters ended up in the toilets at the Gilford Public Library, including one over the urinal in the men's room.
"We post everything we get," said Katherine Dormody said yesterday. She also noted that she is a big supporter of the law and was glad to help the police any way she could.
In Laconia, Capt. Bill Clary said notices were sent to every department – especially the schools as well as Twitter, Facebook, Laconia Links, and the Police Department's Web Page. He said School Resource Officer Steve Orton has worked with the students at Laconia High School and the schools themselves have worked hard to get out the message.
"This will make for much safer roads," Clary said.
Belmont Police Lt. Richard Mann said his department also piggy-backed on the state campaign. He said it has put a public service bulletin on an electronic sign on Route 3 because the man who owns it allows the town to put up public service announcements when it's not rented.
"I was shocked when I learned that 28 percent of traffic deaths in the state could be attributed to cell phone use," Mann said.
Mann also emphasized that the law states that all electronic devices, including cell phones, Global Positioning Sensors, tablets and iPods are illegal to operate while driving. Calling 9-1-1 in an emergency is the only exception.
"If it's original equipment in a car it's okay," said Mann.
Mann said Belmont will go forward with a no-grace-period approach.
"How can anyone say they didn't know about this?" he asked rhetorically. "Even my boys know about this and they're all too young to drive."
As a comparison, he said if people from Massachusetts get arrested with marijuana, New Hampshire police don't just say, "Okay, never mind."
Mann, Clary, and Bean Burpee all said good portions of their campaign were working with and through their individual school districts to get the word out to high school students, generally using the School Resource Officers. At Shaker Regional High School, Mann said various officers, but usually SRO Joe Marcello, attended driver's education programs to discuss the rules of the road with an recent emphasis on this one.
Smaller community police chiefs, like Stephen Hankard of Sanbornton, said his department posted all the state fliers and personally warned people who were stopped for any reason about the upcoming law changes. Since Sanbornton has an elementary school, he said a campaign in there really wouldn't have made a lot of sense, but that Winnisquam Regional High School had a lengthy campaign using Tilton's School Resource Officer Bill Patten.
All four officers said they work in towns or cities that have banned cell phone use for all municipal vehicles.
Laconia Police created a hands-free policy for all of their police officers that became effective at the beginning of this year. The other three police departments interviewed noted similar internal policies as well as town policies against using electronics while driving.
In Gilford, Bean Burpee said all of their front-line cruisers have either have Blue Tooth capabilities or have built-in hands-free devices. By next year, Bean Burpee said the department cruisers should all have factory-installed hands-free equipment.
Clary said he initially didn't want to get the hands-free option in Laconia's two newest cruisers, but decided at the last minute to get the package that also includes an additional safety device.
The drawback for Laconia is that the factory package only allows four cell phones to be programmed into it and more than four officers drive the front-line vehicles. For police purposes, "front-line" means the newest cruisers that are on the road virtually 24-hours a day. He said one cruiser is typically used by a minimum of three officers in three shifts during one 24-hour period and it's harder to schedule cruiser assignments when only four officers can use the hands-free system.
"I want to test it," he said, noting that if it makes sense, he'll begin ordering it for all of the newest cruisers to come. Clary also noted that many of his officers were already Blue Tooth-enabled on their own because of the internal policy change. He noted that except for certain outlying sectors of the city, if any information needs to be exchanged that can't be broadcast over the police radio, then it's just as efficient for the officer to come to the police station.
Hankard and Mann said all of Belmont's cruisers are equipped with devices that have been purchased from private companies and installed in the cruisers. As they go forward with new cruisers, both expect to take advantage of the hands-free package offered by Ford Motor Company.
Laconia Chief Chris Adams said yesterday that his department is not going to become "a ticket factory" on the first day of the new law. He added that because of the sheer amount of upfront public announcements, the nice guy approach wasn't going to last very long, though.
"There has been a massive amount of publicity about this and I can't imagine most people don't know about it," he said.
"I can well imagine we're going to be very busy Wednesday morning," he said.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 12:19
LACONIA — The NASWA Resort celebrated is 80th anniversary over the weekend with a giant fireworks display, and on Monday was honored by Gov. Maggie Hassan for its four generations as a New Hampshire tourist destination.
Hassan presented the Makris family with a proclamation for the sixth annual NASWA Day and praised the Makris and Salta families for having built their business as an attraction which featured the best of the state's natural resources and built close connections with their guests over several generations.
She praised the NASWA for its commitment to the Lakes Region community and the state and its role in hosting events which benefit local and state charities, including the annual Peter Makris Memorial Run which kicks off Laconia Motorcycle Week and the annual HK Powersports Poker Run which benefits New Hampshire Easter Seals.
This year also marks the 90th birthday of NASWA matriarch Hope Makris, who began working with her sisters in the family business when she was only 10 years old and started selling brownies to Motorcycle Week visitors.
Hailed as a ''rock star'' by Sarah Lindquist of Clearly Creative, the master of ceremonies for the event which was held at the NASWA's beach on the Weirs Channel, Mrs. Makris was the focus of attention for the many guests who attended the event from all over New Hampshire.
Her daughters, Karen, who manages the Blue Bistro at the NASWA, and Cynthia, who is president and general manger of the NASWA, said they were grateful for the large turnout of friends and family for the anniversary, which also marked the 40th wedding anniversary for Karen and her husband Jim Lowell.
Stella Scamman of Stratham, who attended the event along with her husband, Doug, a former Speaker of the New Hampshire House, grew up in Laconia as Stella Emmanuel.
''My great aunt and uncle started this place and I remember growing up how hard-working the family was and all they did to grow the business,'' said Scamman.
The NASWA was founded in 1935 by Jim and Fannie Salta, immigrants from Lesbos, Greece, who were exploring a rocky hillside near the popular tourist destination of Weirs Beach when they found a natural spring of refreshing, clear water. The spring water tested as 100 percent pure so the Saltas purchased the property and founded the Natural Spring Water Company. The following year, the Saltas added five one-room cabins and christened them the NASWA Spring Water Cabins.
Decades later, when Laconia's tourist volume and traffic increased and the NASWA's visible roadside location attracted many visitors, the name changed to the NASWA Motor Inn. As the resort added more food, entertainment and features, it again outgrew its name and became the NASWA Resort – now often shortened to "The Naz."
Hope Makris, Jim and Fannie's daughter, is the current NASWA owner. She and her husband, Peter (the well-known and loved "Big Kahuna," who passed away in February 2007), also raised their three daughters, Karen, Victoria, and Cynthia, at the NASWA.
And as their family grew, so did the resort facilities. Docks, kayaks, paddle boats, The Naz Boat, fine dining in the Blue Bistro and casual dining at the NazBar & Grill were all introduced under Hope and Peter's reign. Over the years, the waterfront building and lakeside cottages were also added to grow the resort and its appeal.
In 2010, then Gov. John Lynch named June 29 "NASWA Day" in New Hampshire for the resort's 75th anniversary.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 30 June 2015 12:02
- Council hears outpouring of support for Colonial project
- Two Belmont officers assaulted during melee on Saturday night
- Sanders, Surging in Polls, draws huge crowd at Laconia rally
- Man arrested for multiple Fall 2014 stalking charges involving same woman
- Housing rental vacancy rate down to 1.2% in county
- Trio of 2015 LHS grads will pursue music education degrees in college