A+ A A-

Laconia Fire Deparment warns of safety hazards that occur every autumn

LACONIA -- With the arrival of fall and its colder temperatures, the Laconia Fire Department is reminding the public about certain safety measures.

With more people starting up their furnaces, and stoking the fireplaces and wood stoves, there is a greater chance for carbon monoxide (CO) problems and chimney fires.

Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the "Invisible Killer" because it's a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas, the Fire Department points out. More than 150 people in the Unites States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.

Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). These include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and in some cases ultimately death.

To guard against the dangers of CO the Fire Department urges people to install CO alarms outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home, use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris, drive vehicles out of the garage immediately after starting, and replace CO and smoke detectors according to manufacturer's recommendations.

If a CO detector goes off the department advises that homeowners first determine if anyone in the home is experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning. If any symptoms are present, or the detector instructs you to, they should evacuate the home immediately and stay out until the Fire Department checks the residence and deems it safe to re-enter. They should call 9-1-1 and advise that the detector is activating and if anyone is experiencing symptoms.

It is also important to take safety precautions regarding wood stoves, fireplaces and chimneys.

Chimneys or wood stoves should be inspected and cleaned annually by a competent and qualified chimney specialist. The area around the hearth should be cleared of debris, decorations, and flammable materials. Glass doors should be left open while the fire is burning. Leaving the doors open ensures that the fire receives enough air to ensure complete combustion and keeps creosote from building up in the chimney.

Those with fireplaces should always use a metal mesh screen whenever a fire is burning. It is also important to install stovepipe thermometers to help monitor flue temperatures. In addition air inlets on wood stoves should be kept open and supply to fireplaces should not be restricted. Failing to do this can cause creosote buildup that could lead to a chimney fire. Also, the department urges using fire-resistant materials on walls around wood stoves, and that garbage or piles of piles of paper or Christmas trees should never be burned in woodstoves or fireplaces.

More information is available by calling the Laconia Fire Department Fire Prevention Office or picking up informational brochures at the Laconia Fire Stations at 848 North Main St., (Business phone: (603)-524-6881), or 7 Lucerne Ave. in Weirs Beach. 

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 08:00

Hits: 15

Enterprise Center workshop on intellectual property on October 21

PLYMOUTH — The Enterprise Center at Plymouth will present a workshop on ways to protect intellectual property on Tuesday, Oct. 21, from 8 to 10 a.m.

This workshop, which is part of the center's Small Business Legal Series, will be led by Kim Peaslee, of the legal firm Devine Millimet. Peaslee will explain how to identify intellectual property and ways to protect it. The program is designed for artists, musicians, engineers, inventors, writers, and anyone else who has an idea, creation, or product they want to protect.

Following this workshop, a Devine Millimet lawyer will be available for consultations at the ECP. As a member of the firm's Patent, Trademark and Licensing Practice Group, Peaslee assists clients with a wide range of intellectual property matters. With years of experience in both patent and IP litigation for legal firms in Boston and Nashua before moving to Manchester. Peaslee has experience with patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and litigation matters.

This event is offered at no cost to attendees, but space is limited. Space can be reserved by by clicking the "Seminars" page on the ECP website www.EnterpriseCenterNH.com, contacting the Center office at 535-3222, or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

This program is supported by the NH Community Development Finance Authority, Plymouth State University, and the Economic Development Councils of Belknap and Grafton Counties.

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 07:53

Hits: 17

Paint Night on Tuesday to benefit Inter-Lakes band

MEREDITH — Paint Night, to benefit the Inter-Lakes High School Band and Chorus, will take place at the Inter-Lake High School Cafeteria, Tuesday, October 21, 6:30-9:00 pm. Cost is $30 per painter and proceeds will help offset costs for the ILHS Band and Chorus trip to Nashville, Tennessee, planned for the spring of 2015.

Three ways to register: email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , call 279-1255, or send a check to: Inter-Lakes High School, 1 Laker Lane, Meredith, NH, 03253. Checks payable to: "Inter-Lakes High School" with "paint night" noted on the memo line.

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 07:48

Hits: 23

Dr. Sax’s Dixie Band playing at Taylor Community on Sunday

LACONIA — Dr. Sax’s Dixie Band is scheduled to perform Sunday, October 19 at 3 p.m. at Taylor Community’s Woodside Building, 435 Union Avenue.

Dr. Sax's Dixie Band plays the definitive New Orleans jazz works of the early 1900’s. Modeled after the Dixieland river boat groups and marching brass bands of the era, this four-piece instrumental group performs classic popular songs, blues, and spirituals.  Band leader Jonathan Lorentz (AKA “Dr. Sax”) calls his Dixie Band “just plain fun” and adds that “this music is full of swing and history.” Lorentz leads his four-horn band through a songbook that features the staple masterworks: Blues Skies, Lady Be Good, When You’re Smiling, the St. Louis Blues, Just a Closer Walk with Thee, When the Saints Go Marching In, and more.

Dr. Lorentz is a daring and creative improviser who aims to play challenging and thought-provoking music, while remaining entertaining for modern audiences. He believes strongly in the interactive and collaborative “human element” of music making. The Dixie Band also features the highly-acclaimed young trumpeter Zachary Lange; longstanding band member and Saxophonist Eric Klaxton and lower brass virtuoso Claude Fried, known for deftly alternating between trombone, tuba, baritone horn, and his signature horn, the sousaphone.

The event is free and open to the public. This concert is generously being sponsored by Joan Allison, Dr. Doris Citron, Harriett Morse, Carolyn Parker, Margery Steady and Ruth Webb. For more information, visit www.taylorcommunity.org or call 366-1400.

Last Updated on Thursday, 16 October 2014 07:45

Hits: 16

 
The Laconia Daily Sun - All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy
Powered by BENN a division of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Login or Register

LOG IN